Lidar Technology - Solutions for Wind Turbine Manufacturer
Leveraging Lidar Technology at Turbine Level
New remote sensing techniques like lidar can change the operation of a wind turbine towards a smart operation. The lidar system provides inflow information to the wind turbine control system. This enables the controller to react to incoming wind gusts in time and to adapt to the current wind situation. The team of sowento has been constantly involved in leveraging the benefits of the lidar technology. With an expertise of more than 10 years David Schlipf, the Head of the Lidar Technology at sowento, can look back at numerous engagements in field testings, application on several wind turbines and a high number of scientific publications in the field of lidar-assisted control.
sowento’s Lidar Technology group is engaged to achieve the highest outcome for the wind turbine and make the most of your lidar devices. Wether you are planning measurement campaigns, need recommendations on the roadmap to introduce lidar control to your wind turbine portfolio, or want to leverage lidar systems for wind turbine control, you can benefit from our experience and expertise in the field and profit from sowento’s software solutions.
sowento's answer for wind turbine manufacturer...
Our engineering services for wind turbine OEMs are tailored support the technology roadmap in introducing a new technology to the portfolio and minimizing the risk of failure during the introduction process. We believe in the digitalization of wind energy systems and thus, advanced sensors lidar systems will play a key role in the systems of tomorrow. Follow the global technology trend of becoming adaptiv and smart wind turbine will make use of additional sensors and advanced software and controllers.
Main Services for Wind Turbine Manufacturer
In an analysis project sowento’s team will perform a detailed analysis and simulation study to answer the main questions in introducing lidar-assisted control for a wind turbine. Depending on the clients needs sowento controllers will be tailored to the specific wind turbine model. Furthermore, optimal combination between lidar control and feedback control will be assessed and suggestions on the implementation will be given.
Except of questions which will be answered in the study:
- Which lidar system gives the best value for money for my wind turbine and my application?
- Which data processing approach is needed to obtain the needed information?
- What are the uncertainties in the measurement principle and the approach?
- Which control strategy works best for my application?
The sowento engineers will demonstrate the benefits of lidar-assisted control on the OEM’s wind turbine and give advise in possible improvements of the total control strategy. The lidar system is realistically simulated (with availability, blade blockage, etc.) and different controllers can be assessed and compared to each other.
In the end of the project, the client has a clear picture about the application fields of lidar control and can pick the most promising approaches for his portfolio.
sowento will accompany the client in the field testing phase of lidar assisted control. This ensures the the achievement and the validity of the testing objectives and avoids a failure during the testing. Engineers of sowento support the following three parts of field testing of lidar-assisted control:
- Planning: With sowento’s long term experiences in test and validation of lidar-assisted control, we are the best partner in supporting the planning phase of lidar-assisted control testing. We support the planning of the measurement campaign setup, the controller testing routines and the deployment of the controller.
- Implementation: Engineers of sowento support the coding and the implementation of the control routines as well as providing support in HiL and SiL testing. The deployment of the lidar system and the integration of the signals into the controller can further be supported by the sowento team.
- Execution: During the test phase, we support our clients with plausibility checks, data analysis tools and adaption of the testing protocol in case of additional needs.
- Analysis: We perform data analysis and controller validation analyses for our clients to verify the functionality and performance of the implemented controllers.
sowento supports its clients in the certification process of lidar-assisted control. Being in continuous interaction with certification bodies, the team of sowento knows both sides, the engineering and the certification and bridge the gap between them. Furthermore, sowento’s team contributes to the IEA Wind Task 32 on lidar-assisted control and the mitigation of barriers in the certifialtion of lidar contro.
Main activities for clients can be:
- Independent simulation study to verify results.
- Providing of realistic assumptions and failure cases.
- Verification of realistic lidar simulator.
- Third party verification and assessment of approach.
Taking lidar control in the design process of tower, blades, or other components into account enlarges the potential of lidar for wind turbines. With integrated design projects the team of sowento can showcase and support the clients to leverage the full potential of the lidar system for the wind turbine.
We believe in the digitalization of wind energy systems. Thus, wind turbines and lidar systems will follow the global technology trend of becoming adaptiv to the their environment and adjustable in operation. sowento has ready to use software solutions for different use cases of lidar contol.
smart lidar - modular data processing
Several years of experiences in lidar-assisted control have formed the most advanced data processing solution on the market: sowento LDP.
Based on the outcome of the turbulence intensity estimation the operation mode of the wind turbine is scheduled to achieve a higher load reduction or a higher power output.